By Lily Guerrero
As opera singers, we love to dress up, and Halloween is the one day each year where it is excusable to look crazy outside the theatre! This is the perfect reason to go outside your fach and dress as an opera character that you may never get the chance to play on stage. Here are a few simple character ideas under $50!
1. Lucia, Lucia di Lammermoor: It is incredibly easy to find used wedding dresses for under $20 at your local thrift store. Stage your own mad scene by adding some fake blood (Walmart, $9) and a plastic dagger (Halloween Express, $7).
2. Queen of the Night, Die Zauberflöte: My interpretation for this character is a black corset (Amazon, $15), long tulle skirt (build it yourself with tulle and an elastic waistband from a fabric store or buy one on Amazon for $18), long black gloves (Claires, $5), and a tiara (Icing, $10). Keep some of the tulle from the skirt to create a veil and attach it to the tiara. Don’t forget that severe eye makeup!
3. Carmen, Carmen: If you want to go for the seductress, collect a red peasant top (Amazon, $17), ruffled skirt (Spirit, $27), and black fan (Spirit, $6). Add a real rose to your hair for an extra touch!
4. Marie, La fille du régiment: More interested in that tomboy look? Get a white tank top (Forever 21, $5), blue buttoned trousers (Forever 21, $23), suspenders (Party City, $9), and a helmet (Amazon, $7) together before you jump on any tables and start leading your friends in a military song.
5. Olympia, Les contes d’Hoffmann: Find a matching leotard (American Apparel, $28), tutu (Amazon, $11), tights (Target, $8) and a tiny crown headband (H&M, $3). Go crazy with the makeup!
6. Papagena, Die Zauberflöte: Get your bird girl on with a fun green petticoat dress (Party City, $30), a feather boa (Party City, $10), fun eyelashes (Party City, $6), a headpiece (Party City, $1), and extra feathers to glue on your dress (JoAnns Fabrics, $3). The more colorful, the better!
7. Brünhilde, Die Walküre: Calling all Valkyries! Unite with your gal pals and become the fiercest females at your Halloween party with the most iconic costume on this list. Costume pieces include a Viking helmet with pigtails (Amazon, $6), spear, (Party City, $10), and warrior costume (Amazon, $34).